Sunday, November 11, 2012

C4T #3

For my first C4T assignment I was assigned Russ Goerend. His blog post can be seen here. I read a post about a new idea on how to plan various projects in the classroom. It is called a road map. The teacher draws out the "road" the students will take in order to complete their project. In his specific example they were doing a short story writing project. The road map begins at the bottom of the page and as they progress up the page, they get closer to the end of their project. I found it to be an interesting concept that would be fun and effective.

In my comment to Mr. Goerend I said:
Hi Russ, I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I am studying Elementary Education. For my EDM310 class I was assigned to read your blog. I found this post interesting. The idea of creating a "road map" for writing assignments is a great idea. When I was an elementary student my teachers did something similar to this, but not as fun. It was an outline for creating the story but instead of calling it a "road map" and drawing it out as such, it was just an outline that was spread over a few days. This is something I will definitely keep in mind for my future students. Thank you.

In my second C4T I left another comment for Mr. Goerend. The link to this blog can be seen here.In this second post he talks about kids who have died during various sports activities due to heart conditions. He referenced various incidents that have occurred since 1990 all the way up to 2005. The most recent he cited occurred back in February "Damien Nash of the Denver Broncos died not long after playing in a charity basketball game. By sad coincidence, the game was to raise money for heart-transplant research — Nash’s older brother had had a transplant, after passing out during a basketball game." The last story he referenced was both shocking and ironic.

In my comment to him I said:
Mr. Goerend, I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I am studying elementary education and was assigned to read your blog through my EDM310 class. I actually found this post quite interesting. I had a brother who played sports all through high school. When he was two years old he had open heart surgery to repair two large holes in his heart. I often worried (as I'm sure my mom did also) if it was safe for him to exert himself so much and how that exertion affected his heart. Although he never had any problems I did have a friend who passed out while at school and was later diagnosed with a heart murmur. Having a child of my own now I definitely want his heart checked when he is older before taking part in any sport. Thank you for sharing! -Kathryn

1 comment: