Sunday, November 18, 2012

Blog Post #12

For this blog post watch the video Rethinking Learning: The 21st Century Learner. Think about ways you can merge formal with informal learning in your future classroom. How can we help prepare students for the future? Write a response using the requirements in Dr. Strange's Writing a Quality Blog Post.


In the video "Rethinking Learning: The 21st Century Learner" we hear from six different people about the importance of changing the way we look at how children learn. The video begins by saying that the "most important thing for kids growing up today is the love for embracing change". I believe this statement is exactly right. In today's ever changing world it's important that we teach children how to embrace change as opposed to being afraid of it. I thought it was interesting how he says that the number one mantra for gamers is that "if I ain't learning, it ain't fun". One would assume that the main point of a game is fun, but it makes sense that they want to learn in the process. Think about someone who sits and plays a game for hours, they want the challenge of the game to increase as they invest more time. In other words, they want to learn as they play the game.

We have to teach our children how to use the tools of new media; it is our responsibility as teachers to make sure we are always up to date with the latest technology so that we can keep our students well educated. We have to become more active in linking informal education and formal education and we should think of the skills we teach our students as skills for not only the work place but also for their lives. In my future classroom I would hope we have computers that the students can use. I would incorporate informal learning by using the method of gaming. I would either use games provided online or create games using software. I also think that the use of blogging in a classroom is a great way to get kids not only using technology but interacting with other people around the world, in a safe environment. As long as the activities are safe and educational, any form of media in the classroom is helpful in the education of our children. I found this video educational and enlightening; I look forward to the day when I can be creative in teaching my students how to use technology.

3 comments:

  1. Kathryn,

    Wonderful job. I enjoyed watching the video that you recommended and also reading your regarding comments. I, like yourself, think education and technology can work hand in hand in a safe, educational way. I love the idea of using games to harvest knowledge and also blogging to foster communication. You're post was very well written, very informative, and I enjoyed watching the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Sorry for the typo! "You're" should be "your". (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathryn,

    Great job on this post! I enjoyed your take on the assignment. I believe that this is a great assignment for edm students! Make sure you are using alt and title tags on your pictures in your blog posts.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete